Happy Memorial Day Magic Milers!
Today I would like to talk about FOOD. I have been on a mass rampage of food for the past few days (especially pasta), so I KNEW I had to share my favorite low calorie pasta dish with you.
Spinach Lasagna Rolls 😀
They are really simple to make and can easily to shared with your family. I originally found the recipe on Pinterest and have since found several variations of the meal that has improved it for the more carnivorous in my household.
Spinach Lasagna Rolls
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained (I use fresh spinach, about two cups because I like the fresher taste)
- 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- salt and fresh pepper (no, the “fresh” is not necessary)
- 32 oz tomato sauce (there are heart healthy versions available at any supermarket that lowers the calorie count and is better for you)
- 9 tbs (about 3 oz) part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.
Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure the noodles are dry. Ladle about 1/4 cup of the mixture on to each noodle. Roll the noodle and mixture and place SEAM SIDE DOWN into the baking dish. Continue until mixture is gone.
Pour remaining sauce over the rolls when all are completed. Even sprinkle the mozzarella over each roll. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Let cool and enjoy!
Over all, one of these bad boys runs you about 306 calories per roll. But they are filling, and served with veggies, they can make a healthy weeknight dinner.
A variation for the carnivores: My family likes to get the Jamie-O ground Turkey that is Italian seasoned already and throw that in instead of the spinach. Put them in two different baking dishes so you can tell the difference and you can have one meal, but one for watching their weight and the other to appease the family.
Have a great week Magic Milers!